I was on the hunt for a cheap, but sturdy, metal filing cabinet for a couple of months. I didn’t want to pay more than $10 for it. After months of passing up a couple, I found exactly what I was looking for in my parents’ garage. (Seriously, you could find anything in my parents’ garages. Yes, that’s right, they have three, all filled with a lot of stuff.) I don’t know why I didn’t think to look there first. Anyway, they claimed it was mine from college (it wasn’t), but I told them I would take it off their hands.
I mixed up a batch of homemade chalk paint with a few colors of flat paint I had leftover from other projects (a turquoise, gray, and white). It covered the black quite well, but there was one little rusty spot that I didn’t notice, and this bled through the paint a bit. If I had noticed it, I would have put some shellac-based primer on it (more on this type of primer in an upcoming post).
After two coats, I sealed it with a wipe-on poly. I cut some fabric slightly larger than the face of each drawer, rolled some Mod-Podge on the face, and laid the fabric on top. I folded the edges over and secured them all by super-gluing the excess fabric to the back of the drawer.
After cutting out the handle holes, I gave the fabric a final coat of Mod-Podge to secure it to the face of the drawers.
Right now, it’s serving perfectly as one of the bases for my craft table!
Before and after: